Dancing Bears’ Advertisement and Publication Policy
Purpose: This policy is to guide the Dancing Bears’ webmaster, listserv host, newsletter
editor and membership as to what is appropriate to include in Dancing Bears’
electronic and printed publications in accordance with our mission, by-laws
and tax exempt status.
Overview: The Dancing Bears’ stated mission is to:
1. Promote and support traditional music and dance.
2. Promote and support related artistic, cultural, and educational activities.
3. Foster a greater sense of community by encouraging community
involvement in cultural and educational activities.
To facilitate a unified view of what is acceptable for inclusion in all electronic
and written Dancing Bears publications the following guidelines are approved
by the Board of directors. For clarification or exceptions contact the Board
A. Appropriate articles or advertisements include:
1. All Dancing Bears sponsored events and general interest music and dance
information and articles.
2. Other Alaska traditional dance and music group’s information and
calendars. (NDBE in listserv nomenclature)
3. Goings on in the greater traditional dance community outside of Alaska.
(Usually done with links on the webpage.)
B. Inappropriate articles or advertisements include:
1. Any information, advertisement or article that is political, environmental
or religious in nature or attacks a person or group.
2. Advertising for lessons or services for personal profit.
3. Want ads or classified ads EXCEPT those pertaining to musician or
dancer needs such as instruments, equipment, shoes, clothing, etc. for sale
C. Follow existing established Listserv protocol:
1. NDBE label for non-Dancing Bears event.
2. Once a month limit for use of listserv for ongoing non-Dancing Bears
3. One time promotion for any one non-Dancing Bear event.
4. Dancing Bear listserv moderator will monitor for listserv misuse and
inform the sender in any posting where there is a concern. If this does not
ameliorate the situation, the Moderator may choose to monitor and preapprove
all future messages from that sender prior to posting, or if
necessary, ban him/her from the listserv.
D. All additions/changes to the Dancing Bears webpage layout needs Board approval.
Periodic updating of dance schedule, newsletter, board meeting minutes,
dance camp information, pictures, etc. are submitted by appropriate Dancing
Bear volunteers and implemented by the webbear.